April 26, 2007

The Bluetooth Bar Game

I go out to bars maybe once a week, sometimes twice in the Summer, but only because the roof deck at the Eagle is irresistible. Typically I'll go out on a school night with a friend, to catch up or I'll go out and wreak havoc with my sister, Alan.

When I go to a bar I like to play what I call "the Bluetooth game". It's not so much a game as it is a source of geeky amusement for myself. After all most bars are really boring and lacking in suitable eye candy.
What the BT Bar game entails is activating the Bluetooth transceiver on my cell phone. Some modern cell phones have this, but if your's doesn't, then your plum outta luck, no BT Bar game for you. You can always look for the Bluetooth symbol (blue oval icon with white triangles shown above) to see if your phone has it. Or just poke around your phone's settings and see if there is a Bluetooth feature.
Btw, for those that don't know what Bluetooth is, it's a short-range wireless protocol used mainly in cell phones for transferring data wirelessly and also for devices like wireless mouse & keyboards for computers.
...So I turn my BT on and then scan the area for other Bluetooth devices. Depending on where I am I may get a pretty lengthy list of other active BT devices. I've noticed at G bar I get the most. Must be all those not-so tech savvy fashionistas. Once I've gotten a list of active BT devices nearby, I then select a rather unmentionable picture stored on my phone and I then attempt to send that picture via Bluetooth to a selected device. So far I've never actually had a situation where somebody accepted the transmission. Most of the time, the transfer fails, either because the recipient refused the connection, or it just times out because they didn't even notice it. One day I'm sure someone will let their curiosity get the better of them and accept the incoming file transfer, and then I'll delight at hearing a scream heard across the bar when they receive the picture. I'm cracking up already just thinking about it.

So next time you're sititng in a bar with your cell phone and you get an anonymous Bluetooth request, it might be me.

Labels: , ,