March 12, 2007

Roxy's Last Dance Sabotaged by Madonna

Since we hadn't originally planned to attend the last night of the Roxy, I wasn't really disappointed by the outcome of the night's events. We arrived early (by NYC standards) at 10:50pm. Heading south along the West Side Highway in a cab towards 18th Street. As we approached I saw the huge line that by this early hour had already wrapped around the corner of 11th Avenue up to 19th Street. In the half hour since we arrived the line had already grown to reach W20th Street. Of course wouldn't you know it, Mother Nature decided to rain on us. Luckily it wasn't 13 degrees out like a few nights earlier.

Waiting on line wasn't so bad. It actually would move about 10 feet every 10 minutes. I won't do the math because I have no idea how many hundreds of feet we were from the Roxy's entrance. There were thousands of people, oddly enough mostly twinks (ie; 20-something little gay guys). Amongst the clattering voices of untold numbers, I kept hearing Madonna. Madonna this...Madonna that. I heard the rumor that Madonna was supposed to make an appearance, but I never care or listen to those rumors. But now it all makes sense as to why the huge twink turnout.

By now we had been waiting in the rain for close to an hour or a little more. My sense of time completely vanished at this point. Only my trusty chronometer kept me informed. Our friend Robert had passed by and waited with us. And then this rather large man walked right up to us and wanted to know if we'd like to follow him and get about 17 feet from the entrance. I thought, wow 17 feet...what an odd number. I looked at him and rather curtly snapped, who are you? He had buldging pockets in his sweat-jacket and claimed to work for the Roxy. So I said, well what would you like? He said $20 a head to get ahead...without thinking for more than 3 seconds I said forget it. I wasn't in the mood to pay another $60 (on top of the regular entrance fee) just so I could follow this guy who I had no idea who he was or if he really could get us ahead. No matter, I was seriously loosing interest in the whole affair anyway.

And as I looked around I began to realize that even if we were to gain entry, I was thinking I'm not particularly impressed with this twink crowd and therefore I'm not even sure I want to be like a sardine inside the Roxy with all these twinks. So I put forth the question, do we want to wait any longer and stated my "twinky" case. My trio whole heartedly agreed and off we zoomed in a cab and headed for the dry warmth of the Eagle.

The Day After...

Of course I was dying to know how fabulous or amazingly horrible the Roxy's Last Dance turned out. I received emails from friends and read Peter Rauhofer's message boards. This is what I found out...

Our friend Robert who waited with us had a friend who was about 100 feet ahead of us in line. He didn't gain entry till around 2:30am, about 2 hours (DST factored) after we left. And yes it was still raining. Once he got in, the ticket line was another long line and yet after that the coat check line was even longer. I had no doubt in my mind that leaving was the best decision I've made in my life in recent history.

I then read that Madonna was in fact supposed to show up. Which explains all the twinks and the fact that I didn't recognize a single face in all those thousands of people waiting on line. BUT, she canceled her appearance at around 1:30am, apparently due to the police telling Madonna's people they didn't think it was safe for her to come and that it was basically madness at the Roxy. So the bitch Madonna was gonna come and then canceled. Had I known any of this, I would've showed up at the Roxy at 2 or 3am, probably walked right in and had a funtastic time. I hope for all those who did make it in, that you had a great time, cuz it would seem such a shame that the Last Dance would turn out to be a super sucky waste of time.

For an entirely different perspective on the night's event, click here for all the news thats fit to print. And for an entirely pissed-off point of view rant from a long time Roxy goer, read this message thread over at PeterRauhofer.com: Topic: Another reason why Roxy/JBlair must go

Keep in mind y'all, life and clubland will go on. Live long and prosper.


Labels: , ,