October 05, 2007

I prefer my Blade Runner uncut and thick

It seems insane that it's been 25 years since the original theatrical release of Blade Runner, which happens to be my absolute favorite movie of all time. I was but 14 years old when I saw it with my uncle, that changed my life forever. To me, that movie was perfectly cast, perfectly written, perfectly acted, perfectly produced, perfectly directed, perfectly scored (a Vangelis masterpiece), technically perfect, just perfect.

Over the decades Blade Runner has been re-released in various "other" cuts; Director's, Unrated, Rated-R, original release, etc etc. My favorite is still the original theatrical release (I actually still have the original release VHS tape which I'll keep forever) complete with voice-over naration and "happy-ending", which apparently most audiences hated. Fuck them all! Deckard's narration was necessary. And riding off into the country-side left the movie open and the audience wondering, what will happen to Rachel and Decard? WIll Rachel have a normal life or outlive everyone? As Deckard says at the end, "who knows...". I think the narration added to the film and clued me in to what was happening. I've often imagined seeing the movie for the first time, sans narration and thought I'd be scratching my head thinking WTF is happening here. And the ending, simply left the story open to reality of never knowing how people's lives will continue on.

So now Blade Runner celebrates it's 25th anniversary (Silver), both on DVD and a special two-week long screening engagement at the Zigfield in NYC and a theater in LA. I've already got tickets for the Zigfield on Sunday.

I had seen it about 10 years ago at a special festival screening at Radio City Music Hall (one of the most
amazingly beautiful and largest theaters in the world). The place "came together" as they say in the Voguing Balls. Every Blade Runner fan was there complete with flourescent light stick umbrellas and costumes. It was truly an event to behold, and I have a similar expectation for this Silver event. I can't wait, I'm creaming in my pants. For real!

Labels: , ,