August 19, 2007

LOVE NOT FOR SALE

Since we're moving very soon, weve been selling many of our robot collection to try and drum up some cash and pare down our "STUFF". It's called "purging", but has nothing to do with the digestive system. Anyone who has moved recently knows all too well how much STUFF there is in your home. Just endless STUFF. More and more STUFF in places you completely forgot about. STUFF that you don't ever rememeber buying. STUF STUFF and more STUFF.

So during our robot pruning sale, I came across these two tin-man like robots that I love so much. Their real name is ROBOT 2500, manufacturered in 1976. Honestly though when I was 8 years old I used to see these robots often at those now defunct department stores like Alexander's or A&S. I hated this robot and I hated those dept. stores. It was nothing like the sleek Robby the Robot or the charming Lost in Space robot B9. No, these guys had an obvious "cheapness" as I call it. And I just didn't like that. As a [gay] child, I liked robots with class and style.

But now some 31 years later, as a [gay] adult, I've grown very fond of these guys and they are two of my favorites as far as the plastic robot series goes. Their style defintely has a place in robo-history as far as I'm concerned. But sell sell sell and purge purge purge I thought, cuz we're moving and I hate moving. But then when I took the pictures of these two to sell as a pair, I got all choked up (I would never say "vaklempt"). It was me and my RoboPapi. I showed him the picture and he said, no way are we selling them, it's US! So they have officially been inducted into the SPACEBOYSTOYS hall of fame as part of our permanent collection forever (redundant but necessary).

Labels: , , ,