July 21, 2007

think ink

Here's my latest inking contemplatiton...Sri Chakra Mandala.

Interestingly, this symbol brings me back to my childhood in 1978. This was the same symbol Colonial Warriors wore in the TV show Battlestar Galactica. They never explained it's symbolic meaning on the show, although the BSG story was heavily infused with Egyptian symbology.

But I digress. I looked up some of the meaning of this Manadala;
Sri Chakra the mystical construction of the Cosmos. The secrets of Cosmic unity held by the inter-penetration of nine triangles. Triangles - the product of three phases of cosmic process - creation, preservation, dissolution. And the triad of time. Past present and future. Into which the whole of the activities of the universe could be summed up. Contained. I guess this would certainly wear well with my Seals of Rassilon shoulder tats, which are very Mandala themselves. Its all about Time.



Obviously I had to research a bit on the Sri Chakra Mandala above, and of course I came across another, that not only spoke to me but was utterly beautiful. Hmmm, I need to think more on the new ink. This one is Bijhánn, and is about seeing beyond, about recognizing oneself in the universal flow, and about rejoicing in our unity with the cosmic. Oh decisions decisions.