July 21, 2006

High School for the Humanities 1983-85

Wow, I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed right now. One of my high school sisters, Mariana, sent me a link to a website developed for and by an alumni of my old high school.

During the years 1983-1985, I attended a new type of high school here in New York City's Chelsea neighborghood, the High School for the Humanities. It was a pilot program for a new breed of high schools focusing on the Humanties, whatever the hell that meant. Please, to a 15 year old, any high school in NYC was a prison.

So I've just spent about an hour...OK a few hours...browsing pictures of a reunion some alumni had last year and other pictures and profiles. Wow it's amazing the memories just come flooding back. What's a little shocking is that reading through so many profiles, so many of them seem to be partnered and have children. It's so weird. Are we all really adults now? I guess so. 20 years is a long time to pass. And interestingly, I've been in and around Chelsea for all of those 20 years. I've seen this neighborhood change dramatically. And it still is. I've witnessed gay Chelsea's birth and now it's death. But I digress. My old high school is still there on West 18th Street between 8th & 9th Avenues. It's changed names yet again, now called the Bayard Rustin HS or something like that. I still stupidly point it out to my friends and they make fun of me now when we pass it. "Ohhhh there's my old high school I went to", said in a really snotty imitating way.

So apparently there is another reunion planned for later this year in October. Zoikes, I'm really nervous about going. I really don't want to, although I am a bit curious. Nah, I can't go. Well maybe. I'll see.

So now I just posted my own profile on the alumni site and put up a current picture of me as well as a Then & Now picture (yes that's me at like age 15 or 16, nice hair right!). Here's more pictures I found. Oh I'm so nervous. I wonder if anyone will remember me from the site and write me.

I also just added a new blogroller called girlbomb. I went to high school with this chick, Janice Erlbaum. She's a writer, has her own blog and she just published a book of her very rough life during those high school years. It's really fascinating. I'm gonna get the book. Kudos to you Janice, I can't wait to read it.