July 20, 2006

The wedding thing, 'splained

My last entry has recieved a lot of commentary. But for the record these are my feelings why I want legalized gay marriage (civil union) or whatever the fuck we should call it.

  1. I am in no way looking for governement sanctioning of my love. I do not need my government telling me that my love is real, official, valid, worth something, etc.
  2. What I do want from my governement, since I am a full tax paying citizen, are my equal rights to the benefits, tax breaks, legal recognition of familial ties, inheritence and survivorship rights, etc that go with being "married" or a civil union.
  3. I am not looking to imitate the straight weddings with all their gory details, ridiculous expeditures of money, silly and grotesque outfits, and even sillier wedding antics, etc.
  4. I don't need or want to be "given" away or have my families approval to "wed" the man I love. Although when I announced to my mom that me and Robopapi were getitng married in Canada, her delightful reply was "I'm so glad we're going to be there for it". I got a great cool mom.