June 20, 2007

Amazing Stories

Last night I received a late anniversary and a very very early birthday gift from my Robopapi. And quite a huge surprise it was. I was gagging!

Robopapi knows what a huge fan I am of H.G. Wells' story The War of the Worlds, and that I have admired the original and rather expensive cover art by Frank R. Paul for the August 1927 issue of Amazing Stories. Luckily for us, some of Frank R. Paul's artwork has been affordably reproduced by another amazing and eccentric artist, Anton Brzezinski.

We already own one of Anton's reproduction pieces from a famous 1934 cover of Wonder Stories. Our two pieces now hang next to each other. I'm really amazed at how well Anton reproduced the War of the Worlds cover. But not only did he reproduce it, he personalized it for us. You may not be able to see it, but there are three dates on the painitng, my birthday, Robopapi's birthday, and our anniversary date which is on the larger of the three Martian war machines.

And now for an example of my sheer dumbness (as I was born blonde but have been a brunnette for most of my 39 years)... I saw one of the author's names on the painitng, E.C.Smith. I was amazed that the author had my exact initials. Doh! stupid me. Mr. Brzezinski added my name to the list of authors since this was a comissioned painting.

Robobpapi told me that he had been corresponding with Anton Brzezinski. And it turns out that this will be his last
sci-fi commissioned work because he is moving towards other surrealist styles of painting. Anton Brzezinski has a biography out in print now, which talks about his new endeavors, "False Memories: Adventures of the Living Dali: the Surreal Biography of Anton Brzezinski".

I am now the very proud owner of two of his masterpieces, and I also have the best Robopapi and only in the Universe.


Frank R. Paul original cover, Amazing Stories 1927
Anton Brzezinski's personalized repro, 2007

Frank R. Paul cover, Wonder Stories 1934

Anton's 1934 Wonder Stories reproduction

Labels: , , ,